September 17, 2007

Green Line

"After which war was the Greeen Line drawn:
  • Independence War
  • Six-Day War
  • Yom Kippur War"
Yesterday night, in the 1 vs. 100 game, Israeli version.

The main contestant says "It looks falsely like a tricky question, I will not fall into the pit, I will answer the obviously true answer: the Six-Day War!"

I was taken aback but that was nothing until the answers of the public came up: 80% of "the mob" got it wrong! I don't know exactly how many were left at that round, but I can testify that 71 people in the mob gave the wrong answer to that question!

My flatmate's explanation: Before 1967, the Green Line was the [de facto] border, there was no other side of the Green Line for the Jews... Since the Six-Day War, though, there are two sides to the Green Line for the Israelis, with plenty of discussion about the interpretation of the line, whether to settle across it or not, etc.!

I've noticed that even outside of Israel, people tend to talk about "the borders of 1967" to mean "the pre-1967 borders", i.e. the 1949 Armistice lines, but that's the paradox of the situation of the Palestinians: most of them would be glad today to return to the borders that no Arab country accepted back in 1949...

No comments: